Here it is, one of our favourite meals, Vegan Burrito Bowls! This is one of our go-tos, we have them generally once a week (a little less right now in this stinkin’ hot weather, all that seems acceptable is cold salads and smoothies!). I find Mexican food one of the easiest to veganize. All the beans you can use, the avocado makes a perfect, creamy texture, and there’s just so much flavour!
This recipe may seem daunting, there are a lot of components, but I promise that it’s quite simple to prepare, as long as you can multi-task a little bit!
This bowl is also packed with good-for-you nutrition! Starting with the rice base, if you’re using a high quality grain, that’s a great, sustainable source of carbohydrates and protein. Peppers are also a fantastic vegetable. They are packed with vitamin A, C, phytochemicals and caratenoids, to help you fight inflammation and keep your immune system in check! Fun fact: male bell peppers have three bumps on the bottom, and females have four! The males tend to be less sweet than the females (like real life, am I right?!). Black beans are a great plant based protein, and are full of fiber, magnesium and iron. And we all know what a great source of good fats avocados are, right!?
These also make for great leftovers. You can eat it again as a bowl, but we also use the leftovers in other ways! I like to mix everything together and put it in a quesadilla, or a wrap. Making a ‘burrito’ salad is also a delicious way to use the leftovers, too!
Prep and cook time: 45 minutes
For the pepper mix:
2-3 bell peppers
1 large onion
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp Mexican 5 Spice
1 can rinsed and drained black beans
1 ½ cups rice (we generally just use a whole grain, brown rice)
For the garnishes:
1. Prepare the Spicy Black Bean Dip and the Pico De Gallo by heading over to those pages!
2. Mash the avocado with the juice of half a lime and a pinch of salt! Set aside.
For the pepper/onion mixture:
3. Set a small pan to medium heat and warm up your olive oil in it.
4. Slice the peppers and onion into long, thin strips.
5. Cook the peppers and onions in the pan until slightly soft. I like to cover them for about 5 minutes for the steam to really work its magic in there!
6. Add your two tablespoons of Mexican 5 Spice and about half a cup of water, just to allow the spices to mix well. Let simmer for 5-10 minutes.
For the rice:
7. Prepare your favourite rice as per its instructions! Keep in mind the cooking time on your rice. Depending on the type, it might be best if you start this step first ☺
For the black beans:
8. We keep our black beans really simple! Just add the black beans to some water, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and let simmer for 10-15 minutes.
Assemble your bowl!
9. Start your bowl with some rice, add in your pepper mixture and black beans. Then garnish with your mashed avocado, Pico De Gallo, and Spicy Black Bean Dip!